Monday, October 31, 2011

Hitting 7 Billion.


The world's population hit 7 billion today. A number that lasted exactly one second.
The 7 billionth kid is an Indian. Apropos, I think. Gosh, this runaway population growth needs to be stopped in Mr.Plod stopping traffic in Noddy episodes fashion.

FYI: I am number 5, 513,802,182 on this planet.
And here's your number.

9 comments:

Kshitij said...

Start saving up food and water. We're going to run out of all of it soon.

Cяystal said...

Just got reminded of "Aa gaya Noddy, NODDY, sab bolo Hurray- HURRAYY" :@
And well, why isn't it surprising? Had to be an Indian. and this is an awesome app- I'm 5,691,310,840th :)

Tangled up in blue... said...

Turns out I'm the 5,222,72,727th person on earth! :D And I dont think our growth is likely to be runaway for much longer..it's all going to end like Huxley predicted, after a period of exponential growth comes a plateau followed by a plunge and a final end-point. I wonder if our species will strike an ultimate balance with the environment and survive or behave like Agent Smith from The Matrix movies predicted. Whatever happens, I am pretty certain I wont be around to experience the outcome firsthand. :) And that's a relief!

Kshipra said...

but now there would be less phenomenal circumstances, the chances of what we thought of us being unique are even more lessened than before.

S R said...

Gosh,I seem to have arrived on Earth much earlier than all you folks with 4,806,678,905th:-)
Something like David Lee's character in'The man from Earth':D

I guess all of you must be liberalization's children of the early 1990's:-)

Family planning measures are ridiculous and ad hoc in rural India,not surprising when I recollect some health minister suggesting the problem was frequent power cuts in villages combined with lack of suitable recreational facilities...:D

We are making up for the declining populations of Japan and western europe,but our enormous human potential can be harnessed only if India can educate its people,and that is our Achilles heel:-(

Tangled up in blue... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tangled up in blue... said...

Arumugam, I'm more late eighties than early nineties really! :D And come on, you're just about 400 million births behind me! :D

And since I've actually worked in an urban family planning centre, I've realized the flaw is not in the policy but in the practice. There's a huge unmet need for contraceptives and a major lack of motivation which causes it. The crude birth rate has halved over the last fifty years but we're far, far away from reaching a stable population which was the ultimate aim.

I think the best way out for our country is to include men in the programme because in most households they're the decision-makers and the education and empowerment of women wont happen overnight. At our current rate, we'll overtake China by 2050!

I think instead of celebrating the 7 billion mark we've got to worry about what to do when we get to 10 billion by 2100.

Jack said...

Nitisha,

Difficult to keep pace with you youngsters. But I did read all pending posts. Thanks for verbal cues. I will keep those in mind, if my memory permits. With so many clues, I still have to ask - when was this world lucky to have you? And how did you arrive at your exact roll number here?

Take care

eternalthinker said...

Actually, there would hardly be any stopping unless each and everyone took it upon their consciousness that population growth should be resisted.