Jeff Buckley's sensuous cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah', is a song that moves me and often springs a tear from my eyes. Cohen's lyrics are beautifully well-crafted and masterfully intricate, and most of the lyrics are poetically open to interpretation. But Jeff completely blew the song out of the water with this cover. The beautiful singer-songwriter that he was, he added an engaging new dimension to Cohen's composition.
Although the Christian word Hallelujah is typically homage to the one up above, I think Buckley's rendition is a homage to love, life and loss. I have often listened to this song in the middle of the night trying to make sense of the world around me, only to be comforted by his warm enveloping voice.
Thank you, Jeff for exploring life's grey areas with unforgettable eloquence.
I'm unimaginably sorry you drowned in the blue.
7 comments:
Hallelujah <3
the song's timeless :)
I like rufus wainwright's version more though.
Sigh, who cud have imagined imperfection cud be this perfect? RIP, Jeff.
Even I like the Wainwright version more. But, lovely song!
@Nitisha: I was in Bombay lastweek. Absolutely loved the place. Might be shifting there for a year. Where do you put up?
In my mind, there is NO comparison between Buckley's version and Wainwright's, but the song is magical, any which way you think of it. :)
And Mishika, I live in Andheri! Come come come to Bombay, we'll definitely meet up. :)
Post a Comment