Friday, September 3, 2010

Thoughtcrime

I feel like going away to a brand new city, maybe a whole new country and meeting a brand new set of people.Family and my 2 best friends run away with me, of course.


I feel like doing something productive and useful and important. I'm tired of lazing around.


I like 'elaichi tea' and green tea with lemon, more than coffee now.


I feel like finishing Anna Karenina. 


I feel like trashing noisy polythene packets for paper bags.


I feel like screaming at 95% of the people I see for being so mechanical and always looking for a leader to give directions.


I wish the BBA programme had as much practical interface with industry as I wished.


I wish I knew more than 8 girls who aren't superficial bimbos and more than 10 guys who aren't slackers.


Oops, the above make me sound like a nerd. A pedant. A hippie. A snob. A pretentious buffoon. Uncool, maybe.

In the society I'm in, saying all this out loud is like a crime.You say anything like this and you are immediately categorized into one of the above slots.
 No one really wants to 'think', no one really wants to 'change'. They are comfortable in the predictable and the familiar. They are comfortable living the stereotype.

Oh, Thought Police, I surrender. 
Punish me for thinking. Really. Coz I would much rather think all this aloud than not think at all.


 "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."
-Winston Smith in 1984, by George Orwell

6 comments:

mgeek said...

Good luck with Anna Karenina :-)

Tangled up in blue... said...

Trust me, people have thought of worse stuff to say out loud than that! Even stuff that is "uncool"er! *shudder, shudder* :D

Btw, Orwell was one helluva dystopian writer, no? "The opposite of 'to love' is not 'to hate', it is 'to betray'." Gives me goosebumps still.

Nitisha said...

He really was!

"Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

This sentence freaks me out more than any Stephen King or Thomas Harris novel!

Anonymous said...

You are not blogging as frequently as you used to.
I do not like this.
Get some time out, and blog some more.


v---v

Dhwani said...

ooh ...you've got too many thoughts ...arose in just a day?

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

-P

p.s. Thank you... For being alive, for writing this, and for restoring my faith in India and her people...

Two months of this place had left me feeling indescribably barren; your thoughts, however, are a gust of life in my otherwise intrepid existence here... I prostrate myself before you and your courage. :)